Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Manchester United's secret fanbase

As far as sports go, English Premiership soccer dominates local fandom. Last week I went to a local hole in the wall with Norman to watch Manchester United’s last league game. The “bar” was packed tightly with plastic chairs and rowdy spectators. I was definitely the only white man in the joint. One guy asked me, incredulous: “What are you doing here when you can be back in Britain watching the game there?”

When ManU won, the celebrations were so loud I could barely hear myself. The speakers starting pumping out a song in Luganda (one of the many local languages) – “Manchester fans, stand up!” And so they all stood and waved their arms, with me awkwardly joining in for fear of standing out even more.

With most Ugandans being ManU fans, tomorrow’s Chelsea-Manchester Champions League final is bound to have a World Cup atmosphere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home