Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy Radovan Day

The Butcher of Bosnia is caught, at long last. Back when I was in Sarajevo, I was sitting in my friend Sanjin’s small apartment when the newscaster breathlessly announced that General Ratko Mladic – the second most wanted after Radovan Karadzic – had been captured. Sanjin immediately poured large shots of plum brandy and jubilantly wished me a “Happy Ratko Day.” Of course, that news report later turned out to be false, but I experienced a bit of the joy that is undoubtedly being felt in Sarajevo today. So, Happy Radovan Day, old friends.

In an odd coincidence, a friend a few days ago also sent me a report speculating that Karadzic may have been around Foca, a small town in Eastern Bosnia, in April 2006 (this also makes a good read). It just so happens we were there visiting at the same time. It was an odd little town, one where you suspect that everyone you see on the street is a closet mass murderer, hiding some sinister past as they sip coffee. Probably a bit like it feels to live in Rwanda today. I wouldn’t be surprised if Karadzic was at one time being sheltered by the residents there, just as I wouldn’t be surprised if elements of the Serbian government have known for a long time that he’s been practicing medicine just outside Belgrade under a false name. Something deep inside the establishment must have shifted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home